- Home Page
- Building Specifications
- Typical Office Layouts
- Available Suites
- About Metcalfe Realty
- Contact Us
Click here to return to
Troubling Lunch Hour Office Trend
In commercial offices, there is now a disturbing trend when it comes to lunch hours for staff. This is affecting the overall efficiency and happiness within the workplace. Lunch hours seem to be going extinct. This has been studied by a survey done by the California-based staffing firm OfficeTeam.
- The survey shows that there were 413 workers surveyed and 48% of them said that they had lunch breaks that were half an hour or less.
- There were workers who took 15 minutes or less for lunch – they totaled to about 14%.
- Then, there were another 30% of workers who didn’t even take a break at all and continued working throughout their lunch hour.
- Finally, we have the social media lunch hours, meaning that the workers used their lunch hours to surf the web or to catch up on Facebook – that went up to 27%.
- It was also discovered that many of the workers didn’t even take the time to leave their desk to go to lunch – they just sat there and ate.
This is a seriously malignant trend, because workers need to take time out in the middle of the day to replenish their energy and their mental focus too. A good, nutritious meal and a few minutes of walking, talking and maybe even some fresh air can do a lot for the stomach and the mind. Did you know that studies show that “sitting all day can lead to a myriad of health problems and fatigue…”?
That’s right – you really should move away from the new commercial office trend of no lunch hour and do what’s best for your body and mind. Also, we have different office structures and we’re sure we can find the best one for you! If you are looking for office space in Ottawa for your dynamic and growing business then give us a call to speak with one of our office space representatives about our current inventory of great office spaces and retail spaces for your business in Ottawa.