- Home Page
- Building Specifications
- Typical Office Layouts
- Available Suites
- About Metcalfe Realty
- Contact Us
Click here to return to
“I just need some space…in the office”.
We’re talking about personal space, people. There is such a big buzz about teamwork and togetherness and group activities and open offices and so forth, that sometimes we forget the bare essentials. We forget that everyone is different. Some people tend to have a better liking or compatibility with interacting with others all the time, but some people on the other hand, cannot deal with the constant bombardment of positive energy (no, no – we’re not saying that they’re sourpusses, we’re just saying that they’d rather not deal with it…most of the time). We think that’s completely fine.
- Personal space can depend on how good the relationship between the interacting people is. There is a difference between the way would react with your friend who works in the same place you do, as compared to a newbie employee. There is also the cultural factor, the situational factor and the personality factor, which may play on that too. So personal space is not definitive or measurable. It is dependent on the factors at play.
The environment employees have to interact in also has a big part to play in it. Here are some interesting facts:
- Offices that are particularly large or small, cause people to accept different personal space distances.
- People seem to require less space in larger rooms and more space in rooms that seem much smaller.
- In long, thin rooms, people don’t seem to require as much personal rooms, as compared to the large amount of personal space they require in square rooms.
- There is more need for personal space in the center of the room than in the corner.
- People don’t require as much personal space in rooms with high ceilings or under the open sky.
- In places with lower ceilings, more personal space is required.
- When people are in unfamiliar rooms, they seem to want more personal space.
Interesting stuff, huh? Maybe it’s just perception. But whatever it is, it affects your employees and essentially, your business. Take this into consideration when you decide to get an office space for your company. You choose what’s right for you and we’re here to help. We have different office structures and we’re sure we can find the best one for you! If you are looking for office space in Ottawa for your dynamic and growing business then give us a call to speak with one of our office space representatives about our current inventory of great office spaces and retail spaces for your business in Ottawa.